Thursday 27 June 2013

Mum ordered by state workers to prove she was really a woman

A 36-year-old Georgia mum was ordered by state workers to prove she was a woman after she found her birth certificate mistakenly listed her as a man.
Nakia Grimes said she was left "in shock" after officials told her she must undergo an invasive Pap smear exam if she ever wanted the error corrected.
"I was horrified," she told My Fox Atlanta.
Grimes said the offensive proposition came about when she spotted her birth certificate had an "X" listed next to male while getting her driver's license renewed.
"You only look at the name, the date, and the year, and the month. You just really never look at the additional signatures and I'd never seen that," she revealed.
"When I went to retrieve my birth certificate, I let them know that the gender portion was wrong. I'm a woman, I was born a woman," she added.
 But a state worker said the only way for the Clayton County resident to get her gender changed would be to prove it properly.
"She said I needed to go have the exam, have a doctor write a note verifying you're a woman, and bring it back - notarized," she added.
Angry at the suggestion, she reported the incident to Vital Records Services. Directors agreed there was no need for the procedure to take place.
Instead, they altered her gender status after checking her son Zion's birth certificate, where she is legally listed as the birth mother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...