Saturday 15 June 2013

Agony Of A 21-Month Old Baby Losing Both Eyes

When baby Favour Adam-Umoh was born 21 months ago into the Family of Mr. and Mrs. Blessing Adams, Favour appeared normal as a growing baby and there was nothing unpleasant about her health, particularly her eyes to raise any suspicion that something was remarkably wrong with her sight.
But six months later, the signs began to manifest.
The state of her health then may have spured her parents to name her Favour – a gift bestowed as a token of goodwill, kind regard, love by God.
But, today, Favour is struck with a strange eye disease which medical doctors at the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital, Nnewi, confirmed to be congenital glaucoma.
Presently, Favour with bulging of the right eye which is now affecting the left eye, further medical examination revealed that the baby has cancer of the eye.
According to her doctors, if there is no urgent medical intervention, poor Favour will lose her both eyes.
The parents have been going from pillar to post, looking for solution but all efforts to help baby Favour have proved abortive.
All the way from Onitsha, her mother, Blessing Adam came to Lagos recently in search of  a miracle that could help transform the condition of her baby girl.
The 28-year-old mother was advised to seek further solution in a faith based institution by a friend. So, she went to the TB Joshua’s Synagogue church of all nations in Lagos.
According to her, “I went to TB Joshua’s church on Wednesday and waited patiently for me to be called upon but all expectations failed.
“Unfortunately, it was not the time for cancer patients. So, I left and went back the following day. Again, my baby’s name was not called. So, I felt bad and left because I did not want my baby to die.
“I was in a bus when a good Samaritan man saw the condition of the baby and advised that I should go  to Vanguard that I must surely get help.
“I am a petty trader and my husband drives a hired Keke Marwa. We both live in Onitsha but we are a native of Uyo, Akwa-Ibom State.
“I did not know anywhere in Lagos but with the help of the man, I was able to locate Vanguard premises”, she added.
Narrating the sorry tales of her baby’s health,  she said, “Favour started scratching her eyes when she was six months old.
“At first, I never envisaged it was a serious issue. So, I did not take her to the hospital immediately, but took her to nearby Chemist shop and the man advised that, I should apply eye drops and give her some Vitamin C syrup which I did.
“Unfortunately, there was no changes in her as the day goes by, so, I stopped the eye drops and the  drug. Then, I sought help elsewhere. I then started going from one church to another just to get help.
“A pastor told me that it was a spiritual problem and that it can only be tackled with prayers. So, I started going from one church to another. And since the incident, I had gone to seven different churches but all efforts were to no avail.
“After a while, my husband advised that I should take her to University of Calabar Teaching Hospital and there I was told that her eyes were already damaged and it will be removed.
“The doctor said, an operation will be carried out on the girl but I do not know the cost of the operation. I was scared because I did not want my baby’s eyes to be removed, so I left.
“Although, the doctor said removing the eyes will help save the life of the baby but I do not agree that her eyes should be removed.
“Before taking her to University of Calabar Teaching Hospital, I had gone to Guinness hospital, Onitsha where I was given some drugs. But, there was no changes. I was then given a letter to go to Nnewi for laboratory test.
“Unfortunately, we are financially incapacitated so, I could not go for the laboratory test as quickly as possible as prescribed. But, when we finally went, it was also discovered that she is having cancer of the eye.
Since, the incident, the baby has been passing through severe pain. She cannot sleep at night. I only carry her on my back everyday and night. She cries so much such that she hardly sleep at night. Her siblings, a boy and a girl are presently at Onitsha”, she lamented.
Asked, if there was any history of eye problem in her family, she said, “My mother-in-law has eye problem. My husband told me it was witchcraft that caused her eye problem.
When Vanguard contacted Namdi Azikwe University Teaching hospital on the issue,  Professor Onyekwe who is in charge of the case, disclosed to this reporter that an ‘Filteration surgery of the eye’ will have to be carried out urgently to stop the enlargement of the cancer.
He stated that the surgery which will take place at Guiness Eye centre, Nnewi, Anambra state will cost the sum of N100,000.
Right now, the mother is calling on well meaning Nigerians to help baby Favour stay alive. Her account name is: Ini Adam-Umoh, account number: 2044779539 UBA. Her mother, Blessing Adam can be reached on 07083188829 and 07033996463.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...