Saturday 7 September 2013

I Had A Vision My Marriage Would Crash & It Did ––Singer Ara

Drummer girl, Ara, tells Punch's Ademola Olonilua about her career, relationship and life as a single mother. It is an interesting read as she answers the questions bugging the minds of many. Excerpt:

Before your hit song with Tuface, you were quiet on the entertainment scene, what have you been up to lately?
I was taking time out to heal from my broken marriage. I have since released another video, Yanke. I also just recently produced my first movie, Osunfunke.

Are you now healed from the trauma of your failed marriage?
I am healed.

Are you in any relationship at the moment?
Yes. I won’t give a name. I really I don’t want to talk about him.

Why did you go into movies?
My mission is to promote the culture and tourism of the different states in Nigeria through my movies. The Osun State was the first state we signed with. I am an icon and my brand is associated with culture. I have a voice and face that is recognised and respected. I have represented Nigeria internationally at different levels and made Nigeria proud. All I am asking is for like minds like me to work with me. I also urge people who have passion for their culture and for sponsors to also come on board.

Are you leaving music for movies then?
No, I am not leaving music. I am combining both of them.

Why did you start with production, one would have thought you would begin with acting first?
I also acted in the movie. I played the lead female in the movie I just produced. The lead actor is Ricardo Agbor. I did some stage plays back in school too.

How was your experience as a movie producer?
It was hectic but very interesting. I love it. The challenges were not so many because I was prepared. The most difficult aspect was getting funds for the project but after that, it wasn’t much of a challenge. I had it all planned out.

Are you still as good with the drum as you were when you were younger?
Yes. I am still exceptionally good with my talking drum. The older the wine, the better it tastes.

How come you no longer wear your long braids trademark?
I don’t carry it as often as I used to but my clients have to pay specifically for it. The price depends on who is talking to us. I also had to cut my hair because it started breaking off. After braiding continuously for over 12 years, the hair started rebelling.

One would have thought you would have launched your child’s acting career with your new movie?
There was really no role as such for him.

Is he showing signs of going into entertainment?
He is showing signs already. He has ear for beats but he is not a good dancer. He loves singing. He loves drums; especially set drums and talking drum. He is five years old. He can’t play the talking drum very well yet.

How do you juggle your music career which is mostly stage performance with movie production and motherhood?
Trust me it is not easy but I am dedicated and focused. I spend quality time with my son so when I have to travel or leave home, he understands and we keep in touch on phone over 20 times a day. My mother and elder sister also help me a lot. He also has a nanny.

What other projects are you involved in at the moment?
I have a talk show “Ara Special” and that’s the latest from me. We are shooting the pilot edition shortly.

Did you always want to be a singer?
A singer was what I wanted to be. Well, I would have been working in the house of God. I would have been a prophetess.

Why a prophetess, do you see visions?
Yes.

Don’t you think you would have done better then as a prophetess giving the fact that pastors now own private jets?
You are looking at the financial gains, I am not. I never did.

Did you see a vision that your marriage would break-up?
I saw it.

Has your vision helped you in your career?
Yes it has. It has also helped people around me too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...